POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Phil Cook
Date: 10 Mar 2008 10:07:26
Message: <op.t7s2zm10c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:25:45 -0000, Gilles Tran
<gil### [at] agroparistechfr> did spake, saying:

> 47d4bd0f@news.povray.org...
>
>> It's not a question of "so many features *I* don't need to use", but "so
>> many features that *most* users don't need to use".
>
> But this is where the fallacy is! Unless you know "most people" your
> knowledge of what they use is limited to your acquaintances, which may or
> may not be representative. Obviously noone uses every available feature,
> but the point is that given the sheer number of Excel users, all the
> features
> end up being used by a significant number of people who are dependent of
> them for their work. Possibly, only a limited percentage of Excel users
> use the solver or VBA for instance, but those who do *** really *** use
> them,
> because they're fundamental business tools.

But do the people who don't use the solver or VBA have the option of
removing it from their installation? What features are deemed integral to
the programme? We've chastised Andy for not knowing about Styles in Word,
but how many home users do? Yet there the code sits taking up space,
poised for use.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com